Saturday 20 November 2021

ARCHIVES VISIT : NOTTINGHAMSHIRE ARCHIVES

 How Do All , 

Welcome to the new blog ,containing all sorts of beer related facts , information and even some historic recipies based on the records I`ve managed to dig up ; or have been sent .

At the beginning of this month , I slowly ambled into Bolton ; stopping off at the excellent Odessa Cafe on Exchange St for a rather tasty Bacon & Mushroom on toast and coffee before making my way to the train station ; catching the train for Manchester Piccadilly I passed through the site of Clifton Junction ;

 "Where on the 12 Th of March 1849 , there was a Pitched Battle between employees of The Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway and those of The East Lancashire Railway ; after the L & Y R blocked the line to prevent the E L R from running trains in an argument over fare inspection on freight and passengers ; later parts of this dispute involved the imprisonment of passengers at Manchester Victoria " !!! .                                                                                
The train from Manchester to Sheffield being on time , we slowly rolled through the centre of Manchester on our way south on the Hope Valley Line , passing through Edale , 
Photo : Edd Mather 2021
where in in the early 1830`s Daniel Marshall was born ( The other half of Magee , Marshall & Co )  , then into Sheffield  and exchange for the  Nottingham service , a comfortable journey of an hour or so brought me to Nottingham by lunchtime . A brief snackette and cuppa later and i was walking along the Beeston canal towpath towards the archives   ( 10 - 15 Mins walk from the train station ) .
                      Website : https://www.inspireculture.org.uk/heritage/archives
Photo : Edd Mather 2021 
On arrival at the archives , I was kindly assisted in sorting out the necessary procedures ; providing the required ID for an Inspire Card , ( necessary to examine original documents ) after putting the bag and pens into the locker , I was admitted into the search room where the doccuments I`d pre ordered were awaiting me .

James Hole & Co , Castle Brewery , Newark 
Brewing Book 1896 - 1901   @    A C C 8003 

Warwicks & Richardsons Ltd , Northgate Brewery , Newark 
Brewing Book 1910                @   DD / NM / 8/4/1  
  
After the photography of records was over , 5 Pm was fast approaching ; so after thanking the staff for their efforts on my behalf , I made my way outside and walked round to the oldest Pub in England ; Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem where some welcome pints were enjoyed and in Excellent condition too !! 
Photo :  Edd Mather 2021 
As time ticked slowly by , I realised that the train home sadly beckoned me ; after a pleasant journey back I arrived back in Bolton slightly travel worn yet happy to have been able to make my first research trip in Two Years ! 
Photo : Edd Mather 2021 

Cheers All , I`ll be posting some of the James Hole & Co , and Warwicks & Richardsons beer recipies up in the not too distant future ; along with other historic beery goodies ! 

Edd 
Lancashire 
November 2021 

2 comments:

  1. Interesting that you need a special card to look at original documents....some fine travel blogging there as well mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Pierre ,
      Look out for more to come in the near future ;
      Edd

      Delete